Stencils can create instant and effective decoration, and at this time of the year anything that saves a bit of time is a blessing.
You don’t even need any fancy equipment to achieve a great finish that will look lovely on any table.
Read on to find out how to decorate in 5 ways with stencils.
- Dusting. This is the most simple way of decorating with a stencil. Simply place the stencil where you want the pattern and sprinkle over with icing sugar or drinking chocolate from a sieve. lift away carefully and hey presto!
2. Embossing. Use the stencil as an embossing tool- roll out your fondant then roll over the stencil to press it into the fondant. when you remove it you will be left with a nice 3D embossed finish.
3. Lustre Dust. Use the embossing technique, but before removing the stencil smear a very thin layer of white vegetable fat such as Trex over the surface and brush on some lustre dust in a circular motion.
4. Airbrushing. This is the quickest way to amazing results in seconds. Use plain colours or metallic airbrush paints to make something simple look stunning. Be sure to hold the airbrush at a 90° angle so the paint doesn’t bleed under the stencil. If you don’t have an airbrush then pop one on your list for Santa!
5. Edible markers. Fancy something a bit different?? Why not create a pop art finish with edible markers on fondant that has had overnight to crust. Use dots or lines or solid fill the area, the choice is yours.
Here are some of our top tips for stencil success:
✓ Complete the pattern in one coat, it is near impossible to line it up perfectly for a second time.
✓ Use pins to help secure the stencil and free up your hands
✓ Be creative! Layer the pattern for a different effect or add coloured sugar instead of lustre for a sparkly textured finish
✓ Practice makes perfect! Try the stencil out on paper or some spare icing first
Whatever you do have fun with it.
We would love to see your creations so pop over to our facebook page and share your photos with us!